Written by Tisha Castillo
Monday, 15 June 2009
I wanted to update each of you on the current status of the “NAME CHANGE ISSUE”. I received a phone call from Supervisor Martyn this afternoon. After about a 40 minute conversation, a few things were decided:
- Supervisor Martyn was going to contact the USPS directly to ask them to wait on assigning the new name to the area – He had sent the letter TODAY so this is not “done”. When he attempted to call his USPS contact, he had already left for the day. An email was then sent to his contact asking him to hold off on his original request. I was then promised that Supervisor Martyn would contact him again tomorrow morning and let me know as soon as he has. He will be asking for a 1 week extension on the name change issue. This means that THIS COMMUNITY as a whole MUST have its decision on this issue by Monday, June 22nd.
- Supervisor Martyn has agreed that allowing the community as a whole, at least the opportunity, to participate in this issue, is the only choice available. After all, it is the residents of this area that will live with this change.
- Supervisor Martyn agreed that the process that was taken up until now may not have been the best approach and that there is more that he could have done. As a result, he is willing to do that extra work now – so that again, we the community will HAVE A VOICE!!
Now that we are being given a few days to decide this issue:
We are on a tight deadline.
- I NEED EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU TO HELP SPREAD THE WORD ON THIS ISSUE!
- THIS IS OUR CHANCE TO BE HEARD!!
- THIS IS OUR CHANCE TO ALLOW THE GREATER SAN TAN AREA A VOICE!
- THIS IS OUR CHANCE TO BE PROACTIVE INSTEAD OF REACTIVE AND TO STOP LETTING THINGS JUST HAPPEN TO US!!!
This is what I would like to see happen. Over the next 2 days (Tuesday, June 16th and Wednesday, June 17th), I would like to ask that you to do two things:
- Forward this request on to as many residents of the Greater San Tan Area that you can
- Reply to this email with any suggestions you have for an area name or if you do not want the area to have a name – please feel free to respond with that information as well.
I will be putting together a ballot that all residents of the Greater San Tan Area will be able to access. (The only reason they wouldn’t be able to would be because they are not aware of this, so please help to spread this information to EVERYONE.) I will follow up with where and how to access it as soon as it is ready.
Monday, June 22nd, there will be a community meeting. The purpose of this meeting will be to allow any and all residents of the Greater San Tan Area to come and VOTE. The ballot will include names submitted, that are allowed by the USPS, by the residents of the Greater San Tan Area, as well as an option to keep things as they are. For those of you that are not able to attend, you will have an opportunity to vote online or by fax (simply let me know if you need to fax the ballot in instead of accessing it online). The goal of the meeting is that we will have a community decision on what should happen next. We, as a community, will present that information to Supervisor Martyn, and as our elected official, he will present what the community wants to the USPS and we will have contributed to our future.
I thank each of you that have responded to my original email and I look forward to getting this area together to VOTE on this issue. Remember we can work together, we can become a true community and we do have a voice! So let’s do this!!!